Frequently Asked Questions

How many semesters are in a year?

Wilmington University offers three semesters a year during the fall, spring, and summer. Each semester is 15 weeks in length and classes are offered during the day and the evening. Within each semester there are six ways to take a course: Semester, Block, Modular, Distance Learning, Hybrid, and Fusion. For more information on these course formats, please click here. It is strongly suggested that freshmen begin with semester formatted sessions.

What is a syllabus?

A syllabus is a collection of information that outlines the course. It usually contains the following: course description, goals and objectives of the course, contact methods to reach instructor, course requirements and evaluation methods.

Where can I pick up a course syllabus?

Beginning Fall 2006, you won’t have to come to campus to get your syllabi before your class begins! All courses will have instructors’ personalized syllabi online through Blackboard, our online learning environment. The syllabus will be available two weeks prior to the start of the course, or when received from the faculty member.

To access the syllabus for the courses you’re registered:

  • Log in to Blackboard
  • Click the name of your course under “My Courses”

When should I buy my textbooks?

Textbooks are available for purchase approximately one week before classes begin. Generally, textbooks are only available at the site bookstore where your class is held. You should bring your textbook with you when you come to every class. Please click here for the bookstore hours at all locations.

How do I know what classes to take?

Your Academic Advisor can help you with course selection. Sequencing sheets are also available from Academic Advising which can help you keep track of what classes you have to take in your program.

Who is my Academic Advisor?

All students have an academic advisor. Click here to find your advisor. To meet with an advisor at the New Castle campus, please call 302.356.6710. To meet with your Dover advisor please call 302.734.2594. For the Dover Air Force Base advisor please call 302.674.8726.

What is Blackboard?

Blackboard is Wilmington University’s online learning platform where instructors and students can access course materials and communicate online. Blackboard is an on-line course management system being used by Wilmington University faculty to deliver information and valuable educational resources to its students. Blackboard is a password protected web environment that allows instructors to be data specific to their courses and the needs of their students. Best of all, students can access Blackboard Course Sites anytime, anywhere and using any Web browser.

To learn more about Blackboard, please click here.

How many Wilmington University sites are there?

There are eleven different Wilmington University locations. Click here to view all the locations.

Am I required to take placement exams?

Yes. Placement exams are required before you can register for English or Math but some students may be exempt based on SAT scores or if you have transferable credits in English and Math. To find out if you are exempt, contact the Office of Academic Advising. To find out when the next Placement Test dates are held, and how to register for them, please click here.

What are the Robert C. & Dorothy M. Peoples Library
(New Castle) hours?

The library is open 7 days a week except during the summer. During the summer, they are closed on Sundays. Please check the Library’s home page for their hours.

What are the hours of Dover Site Library Access Center?

The center is located in Building 'B' on the first floor. Staffing is provided Monday-Thursday 4:30-7:30pm and by appointment.

Where do I get my ID card?

ID cards are issued through the University Information Center in Admission & Classrrom Center, first floor on the New Castle campus and through the site offices in Kent and Sussex County. Your ID card is also your library card.

Can I keep my cell phone on during class?

No. The use of cellular telephones, pagers/beepers is prohibited in the classroom, library and labs.

Where do I get my Library Card?

ID cards are issued through the University Information Center in Admission & Classroom Center, first floor on the New Castle campus and through the site offices in Kent and Sussex County. Your ID card is also your library card.

Where are my classes held?

Room assignments are posted in classroom buildings and on university's website.

Will my parents get my grades?

Parents can get your grades only if you have signed a release of information form, granting them access to your private information while you are a student. Federal legislation has mandated policies and procedures that colleges must follow. The Family Educational Rights Amendment, was designed “to assure parents of students, and students themselves if they are over the age of eighteen or attending an institution of post-secondary education, access to their educational records and to protect such individuals’ rights to privacy by limiting the transferability (and disclosure) of their records without their consent.”

What is a typical course load?

To be considered a full-time student you must be enrolled in at least 12 semester credit hours for the term. This is important if you need to be full time for financial aid qualifications.

What is a pre-requisite?

A pre-requisite means there is at least one other course you must take and pass before you can enroll in a course. For example, you must successfully complete English Composition I before enrolling in English Composition II.

What does credit hour mean?

Each credit hour is a unit of measurement in university. Each credit course is assigned a particular number of credit hours, depending on the number of times the class meets and the number of clock hours it meets during the semester or block. Three is the most common number of credits for a semester course.

What is a transcript?

A transcript is the official record of your academic history at an institution. An official transcript will have the seal of the college on it and is only transferable in a sealed envelope.

Do I need a parking permit to park my car at Wilmington University?

No. Parking is free and you do not have to register your car with Wilmington University. Please try to arrive early for class as parking spaces fill quickly.

For the Dover Air Force Base site civilian students must submit a DAFB pass request 72 hours prior to the start of their class. The Civilian Pass request form and instructions can be found at each university location, in the Registration Guide, and at Dover Air Force Base.

Is tutoring available?

English and math tutoring are available at no charge in the Student Success Center at the New Castle campus, located in the DAC Building. You may view the updated tutoring schedule on the Student Success Center's section of the website.

For tutoring located at the Dover campus, please call the Dover site at 302.734.2594 for more information.

Is Wilmington University an accredited institution?

Yes, Wilmington University is fully accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, a non-governmental, nationally recognized organization whose members comprise approximately 500 collegiate institutions. The Middle States Commission on Higher Education accredits institutions of higher education in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and other locations abroad.

What does accreditation mean?

Accreditation of an institution by the Commission on Higher Education indicates that an institution meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality periodically applied through peer group review process. An accredited college or university is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs, is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the future.

Can I attend Wilmington University if I graduated high school from a home school/online program?

University welcomes all home school graduates. In an effort to serve the home school community better, there are specific admission requirements to ensure academic opportunity for all home schooled graduates. Please click here for more information about admission requirements.