Taking the Placement Tests at a
Wilmington University Testing Center
You may take ACCUPLACER® computer-based placement test at designated Wilmington University campuses throughout the academic year. There is no charge for taking the test at a Wilmington University location.
You may also choose to take the test at another college or other approved location/testing center which may be closer to you. See Taking the Placement Tests Off-campus for more information.
To take the ACCUPLACER® placement test, you must:
- Bring a photo ID for check-in purposes. You will not be permitted to test if you do not present this identification. Acceptable forms of photo ID include:
- current driver’s license or other state-approved ID;
- college ID;
- current state or federal ID card;
- current passport;
- naturalization card or certificate of citizenship.
- Bring several pencils and/or pens.
- NOT bring a calculator if you are taking the mathematics placement test. The calculator appears within the test when calculator use is appropriate.
- NOT bring your own scrap paper; it will be provided for you and collected from you at the end of the test. If you were not given scrap paper when seated, ask for it.
- Turn off all electronic devices and place them out of view at all times.
- Answer ALL questions on the tests to the best of your ability. See Taking the Tests below for additional information.
- See Completing the Tests below for additional procedures for the end of the testing session.
Preparing for the ACCUPLACER® Tests
If desired, The College Board provides several resources to help you prepare for the placement tests on their web site at Prepare for ACCUPLACER®.
Taking the Tests
- Answering the Questions
The questions appear one at a time on the computer screen. Since most questions are multiple choice, all you have to do is use the ENTER key or mouse to select an answer. When you have completed the question and confirmed your answer, a new screen will appear with your next question.
- Adaptive Testing
Since each multiple-choice test is adaptive, the computer will automatically determine which questions are presented to you based on your responses to prior questions. This technique selects just the right questions to ask without being too easy or too difficult. Because the test works this way, you must answer every question when it is first given. Each test is un-timed so that you can give each question as much thought as you wish. However, once you have selected and confirmed your answer, you cannot return to that question. If you do not know the answer to a question, try to eliminate one or more of the choices.
Completing the Tests
- Your test scores and placement results appear on the computer screen at the end of your testing session.
- Before logging out of the test, ask the test administrator to print the score report and give you a copy for your reference/records.
- Your results are sent electronically to Wilmington University. You do not need to send us a copy of score results.
- If you did not receive a copy of your score report, please contact the University Information Center at (302) 356-4636.
- See Your Placement Test Results and Next Steps to proceed with course registration.