Men's Soccer 2012 Game Highlight

09/12/2012 - Goldey-Beacom


SUBJECT: Wilmington Earns First CACC Victory with 4-0 Victory over Crosstown Foe Goldey-Beacom

The Wilmington University men’s soccer team turned in an overpowering 4-0 victory over crosstown foe Goldey-Beacom, earning its first Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference win of the 2012 season on Wednesday afternoon at the Kirkwood Soccer Complex.

Wilmington (2-3, 1-1 CACC) could have added more goals as they turned in 32 shots, but could only solve Goldey-Beacom (1-3, 0-2 CACC) goalkeeper Ignacio Farias for two goals in each half for the dominating victory.

The win was the seventh consecutive victory for the Wildcats in the all-time series, as they have remained unbeaten (8-0-1) against Goldey-Beacom since joining the NCAA ranks in 2004.

The Wildcats put the pressure on right from the opening tap of the match, as the visitors put up the first five shots of the game, the fourth and fifth shots resulting in goals.

Senior captain Kresimir Nurnberger started the scoring off with his first goal of the 2012 campaign, getting a pass from classmate Justus Henry at the 3:33 mark, redirecting a pass into the open goal from right in front.

Four and a half minutes later, Henry took care of business himself, making a run down the right sideline, cutting towards the goal at the end line. Henry’s first attempt at the goal was nulled by the Lightning defense, but his second shot was a left footed rocket from a steep angle, ricocheting off the left goal post and into the net for his first collegiate career goal. The score was 2-0 in favor of Wilmington in the first 8:14 of the match.

The Wildcats went on to outshoot the Lightning, 12-6, for the first half, earning four corner kicks while not allowing the home team to attempt one.

Making his first appearance of the year, goalkeeper Spyros Stergiotis made three saves in the first half for the victory.

The second started slow for the Wildcats, as they poured on the shots but were unable to find the back of the goal until late in the match. But when they came, they came in a flurry.

Junior Todd Woll came from his back line position to make a run down the right side, putting a powerful shot in on Farias that was initially saved. The ball got away from Farias and on the back post, Pedro Moreira was waiting as he tapped it in for his team leading fourth goal of the season at the 66:58 mark.

Before the Lightning knew what hit them, senior captain Ray Kuemmer stole the restart and shot down the middle of the field. Pushing the ball to his left foot, he launched a rocket from 25 yards out that clipped underneath the crossbar and into the goal for his second goal of the season. Within 19 seconds, the score ballooned to 4-0.

“It feels real good to get our first shutout for our first conference win in the same match,” ninth year head coach Nick Papanicolas said. “I’m especially happy for Justus (Henry) to get his first collegiate goal in his senior year. We need to keep working and be able to play all 90 minutes of every match. Every CACC game is important.”

The Wildcats put out 20 more shots in the second half, outshooting the Lightning 32-8 for the game. They also attempted 13 corner kicks in the contest, holding Goldey to zero.

Freshman goalkeeper Aaron Brown subbed in to start the second half, making one save in his first collegiate action. Farias made 14 saves in goal for Goldey-Beacom.

The Wildcats will return home to their new Wilmington University Athletics Complex on Saturday when they host Bloomfield for the inaugural WU Homecoming Weekend. The day will feature a soccer doubleheader with the women starting at 12 p.m. and the men following at 2:30 p.m.

Download Box Score

Back to the Schedule