Men's Soccer 2012 Game Highlight

10/01/2012 - Felician

SUBJECT: Defensive Save Spurs Third Straight Win as Wildcats Down Felician, 2-1, in Men’s Soccer

A defensive save off the goal line spurred the eventual game-winner as the Wilmington University men’s soccer team held off a late comeback by Felician, 2-1, to win its third match in a row on Monday afternoon at Lyndhurst Recreation Field.

With the win, Wilmington (5-6, 3-4 CACC) has won consecutive Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference matches for the first time during the 2012 season. The Wildcats picked up their ninth point of the CACC season, moving to within two of Felician (4-4-2, 3-3-2 CACC), who started the day in a tie for second place.

Already leading 1-0 late in the second half, freshman Lance Berry saved the day for the Wildcats and spurred the offense to its second goal of the match all in one play.

Wilmington goalkeeper Spyros Stergiotis attempted to win a 50-50 ball that was played over the top and into the box, but a Golden Falcon player was able to get to the ball first and flick it on towards the open goal. Berry came on at the last second and volleyed the ball out from the goal mouth, keeping the momentum in favor of the Wildcats.

Off the defensive save, the Wildcats marched down the field quickly as senior Justus Henry sprung classmate Ray Kuemmer with a long ball to put Kuemmer one-on-one with the keeper in the 79th minute.

Kuemmer beat Golden Falcon goalkeeper Daniel Wroblewski for his third goal of the season, giving the visitors a 2-0 lead with only 10 minutes remaining in regulation.

Felician put in a late charge at the end of the match, scoring a goal off a corner kick with 28 seconds remaining. Although unable to record his third shutout of the season, Stergiotis and the Wildcat defense fended off any thought of a complete comeback for the victory.

“It’s real nice to put together three consecutive wins, especially when two of them are in the conference, like we have in the past week,” head coach Nick Papanicolas said. “Our defense, specifically looking at Sam Fahnboto, was stellar in the back field for us all afternoon.”

Otis Williams put the Wildcats on the board with his second goal of the season in the 30th minute, tapping in a deflection off a cross from sophomore Musa Wiah.

William’s goal was one of seven shots for the Wildcats in the first half, as Wilmington held a 7-4 advantage in the opening 45 minutes. Looking for the comeback bid, the Golden Falcons responded with nine shots in the second half while holding the Wildcats to only four.

Stergiotis made three saves in his fourth win of the season while Wroblewski stopped six shots in the loss for the Falcons.

The Wildcats will look for their fourth consecutive win on Wednesday, as they head to non-conference foe Millersville for a night contest starting at 7 p.m. Wilmington returns home to the WU Athletics Complex on Saturday against Concordia at 2:30 p.m.

Download Box Score

Back to the Schedule