News Release

Daniel Lauletta, Coordinator of Sports Info
320 DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720

Callaway’s Second Half Effort Falls Short as Lady Wildcats Drop Tough 46-41 Decision to Felician

WBB: Wilmington 41 - Felician 46

Saturday, February 4, 2012 - New Castle, DE

Click Image to Enlarge

Freshman guard Megan Fox

Freshman guard Cari Callaway

Cari Callaway’s game-tying attempt at a three-pointer with five seconds left in regulation fell short as well did the Wilmington University women’s basketball team spirited effort against Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference North Division leaders Felician, 46-41, on Saturday afternoon at the Pratt Center.

The three-pointer off the hand of Callaway in the waning moments of the game didn’t diminish the effort the freshman guard put forth in the second half while trying to notch Wilmington’s (1-16, 0-12 CACC) first conference win of the season. She went 4-for-7 from the floor in the second half for eight points, while also dishing out two assists and swiping two balls from Felician (16-5, 10-2 CACC). All her points came in the second half.

The entire game was a close, hard fought battle, as the largest lead of the game came late in the second half after Felician’s Trina Plummer hit a three-pointer to make it a 41-35 game. The Wildcats’ largest lead was five after Tianna Wagner banked home a three in the first half with 8:42 left to play.

Leading by five, 14-9, the Wildcats went cold from the field to close out the first half, ending the first frame on a 2-for-10 slump from the floor, and 2-for-4 from the foul line to see there five point lead turn into a 24-20 deficit at the halftime buzzer.

The Wildcats were never able to retake the lead in the second half, but had the CACC North Division leaders in their sights the entire half. The Golden Falcon lead grew to as many as five on three different occasions in the first eight minutes, but the Wildcats always responded.

Trailing 32-27 with 12:08 left in regulation, Megan Fox hit a layup and Joune Reed nailed a jumper to cut it to a one-point game. After Felician put home an offensive rebound, Callaway hit a mid-range shot to make it 34-33 with 10:18 on the clock. Another offensive rebound and layup put Felician back up three, but Lauren Brown hit a jumper to make it 36-35 with 7:55 left in the game. But that would be as close s the Wildcats would get in reclaiming the lead.

Inside the final 30 seconds, Erin Moore grabbed the front end of a 1-and-1 that Plummer missed, giving the home team one more chance. Down three, Brown got into the paint and was fouled, but missed the ensuing free-throw. Kim Walton snared the rebound with 17 seconds left, giving Wilmington life once again.

Brown tried for the quick two once again, but was denied by Jessica Ford underneath. On the following out-of-bounds play for the Wildcats, Callaway couldn’t shake the defense and put up an off balanced three that fell short. Destiny Barnette came back down and hit both of her foul shots to ice the game.

Callaway led the ‘Cats with her eight points, while Fox, Moore, Wagner and Reed all chipped in with six points each. Reed pulled in a team-high six rebounds for the afternoon. Wilmington shot 16-for-42 from the floor for the game, but went 9-for-18 in the second half.

CACC leading scorer Barnette was held under her average, but still picked up 17 points to lead all scorers. Que Lyles pulled in eight boards to lead the Falcons. Felician shot 15-for-55 from the floor for the game, and 12-for-26 from the foul line, but had 28 second chance points for the game.

Wilmington will make up its January 21 postponed game versus Concordia on Monday, February 6 at the Pratt Center. The game has been moved up an hour and will start at 5 p.m.