How To Identify Different Sections of the Same Course
For many faculty members, it's typical to teach more than one section of the same course in a term, often in a different block, or different format, or both.
- Our new section numbers, now referred to as the CRN (Course Reference Number), are now simply 5-digit, unique numbers that do not contain any codes or information about the block, semester, or University location in which the course is offered.
- The My Blackboard module in on the myWilmU Faculty Home page also only lists the course term and name, and not the CRN or other information.
This means it takes a few extra steps at first to identify which section of a course your teaching is in which block, location, or format.
Still Need Help? Please contact the Office of the Registrar.
- On the myWilmU Faculty Home page, click the My Classes tab (to the right of the My Blackboard module).
- For each course you want to identify, click the name of the course section.
- The Faculty Detail Schedule in Faculty Self-Service will open in a new window/tab (do not close the Faculty Home page).
- In the Faculty Detail Schedule, take note of (you may want to write this down):
- the course CRN, and Course ID (subject and number) near the top of the page.
- the Part of Term displays which block (or semester) the course meets.
- the Campus displays which University location the course meets (or Online).
- scroll down to Scheduled Meeting Times.
- The Schedule Type displays the format of the course (Online, Hybrid, Face-to-Face, etc.)
- Return to the Faculty Home page (you left this open in a different window/tab in Step 3).
- Click the My Blackboard tab if it is not already displayed.
- Click a course in your Blackboard Course List.
- The course CRN and Course ID appears in the Blackboard course menu. Match the CRN with the CRN you found on the Faculty Detail Schedule.