Alternative Methods for Earning
Course Credit

Wilmington University grants academic credit for course completion in a number of ways beyond the traditional and virtual classroom setting. Credit may be granted through transfer credit, for work completed at another academic institution, or related work completed in the manners listed below. A brief description follows. Additional information may be obtained from an Academic Advisor or a Site Director.

Policy for Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

PLA involves presenting evidence of non-classroom learning experience for academic credit consideration. The University allows students to obtain academic credit for learning that has taken place outside the classroom. Wilmington University accepts a maximum of 15 undergraduate credit hours through PLA.

PLA requires the establishment of an academic contract and a student-prepared portfolio which is reviewed by a faculty member. The portfolio should include evidence relevant to the area in which credit is sought and demonstrate clear achievement and a thorough understanding of the subject. This may be demonstrated by knowledge obtained through work experience (military or civilian), in-service training programs, volunteer activities, workshops, and/or personal study.

Undergraduate-level PLA

A maximum of fifteen (15) undergraduate-level credits may be earned through PLA.

Graduate-level PLA

The University offers graduate students in selected programs the opportunity to obtain academic credit for learning that has taken place outside the traditional classroom setting. As a result, the University may award graduate credit through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) of post-baccalaureate experiences at the discretion of the academic college. PLA involves preparing a portfolio which will be reviewed by a qualified faculty member. The portfolio must include evidence relevant to the area in which credit is sought and demonstrate clear achievement and thorough understanding of the subject matter. For more information concerning graduate PLA credit, contact the academic program advisor. A maximum of six (6) credits may be earned through the Prior Learning Assessment format and may be used towards residency credits.

Learn more about PLA…

Challenge by Examination

Undergraduate Level

Challenge-by-Examination measures college-level knowledge through an examination process. Faculty members administer an exam which incorporates all tests and exams required in the actual course. A minimum passing grade of “B” is required. A maximum of 15 credit hours are accepted through Challenge-by-Examination. Tuition and fees are the same as standard course tuition.

Graduate Level

Challenge by examination measures graduate-level knowledge through an examination process. Challenge by examination is limited to graduate prerequisites. Students interested in challenge by examination must register in advance for the specific course and, upon payment of the specified fee, will receive notification of prearranged date, time, and place of examination. Results of the examination will be available to the student no later than one week prior to registration for the next block.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College-Level Examination Program® or CLEP is a national testing program that provides students of any age with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of more than 30 examinations in undergraduate college courses. Wilmington University recognizes these examinations for transfer credit.

Credits through Examination

Students who are interested in earning credit through one of the credits by examination programs should contact their academic or program advisor before taking an examination to ensure it will be accepted as credit for their program of study. Credits earned through these examination programs are treated as transfer credit and do not affect a student’s grade point average. A maximum of 15 credits through examination will be accepted by the University. See a list of eligible exams…

Advanced Placement (AP)/ International Baccalaureate (IB)

Advanced Placement (AP) examinations of the College Entrance Examination Board may be used for advanced placement credit. Specific college course credits will be granted for scores of three, four, or five on the examinations. An official AP score report must be forwarded from ETS to Wilmington University. Wilmington University does not charge students for transferring these credits. Contact the Student Academic Advising and Success Center for procedures required to initiate an evaluation of transfer credit.

Students who have successfully completed International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations at the higher level (HL) may be awarded university credit.  To receive credits for IB exams, students must have official examination results sent to the Wilmington University Admissions Office.

Extra-Institutional Course Assessment (ECA)

The University recognizes that college-level learning takes place both in and out of the classroom. A process of reviewing corporate training programs and other formal training/courses offered by non-accredited institutions/entities has been implemented to determine if college-level learning is present and to determine what credit, if any, should be awarded for the prior learning.

Graduate level ECA credit often requires independent study, original research, critical analysis, or the professional application of the specialized knowledge within the discipline.

Wilmington University has evaluated many courses offered by organizations, private industry, schools, training vendors, government agencies and non-profit organizations. Find out if your training has been evaluated for credit…

Undergraduate Internship/Field Placements

Students can be provided with a field placement in public or private agencies and companies. Field placements provide first-hand experiences upon which future career choices can be based as students gain a better understanding of the relationship between theoretical concepts and their practical application. Students are reminded that coordinating the requirements for an internship requires prior planning.

Students must receive written permission from the Internship Coordinator or Program Chair at least 60 days prior to their expected internship start date.

Upon receiving written approval, a student should complete the official registration procedure with the Office of the Registrar. Tuition and fees are the same as standard course tuition. Internships/field placements are graded on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis. A minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average is required to be eligible for internships/field placements. A maximum of 15 credits may be earned through internship/field placements and may be used towards residency credits.

Graduate Internship/Field Placements

Internships provide first-hand experiences upon which future career choices can be based as students gain a better understanding of the relationship between theoretical concepts and their practical application.

For additional information related to internships and field placements, students should consult their specific academic program guides and handbooks. A maximum of fifteen (15) credits may be earned through internships/field placements and these may be used towards residency.

Web-Enhanced Courses

Courses at Wilmington University are web-enhanced utilizing a system called Blackboard.  Students should expect to utilize the Blackboard Learning System throughout their course of study at Wilmington University.

Military Science Program/Army and Air Force ROTC

Wilmington University has a cross-enrollment agreement program with the Air Force and Army ROTC Departments of the University of Delaware. Students who are interested in pursuing such a program can obtain information on ROTC courses from the Wilmington University Academic Advising Office.

Classes for the Military Science or ROTC Program are instructed in a partnership status with the University of Delaware on its Newark campus. The program consists of two major subsets – the Basic Course and the Advanced Course. Both courses are straightforward and hands-on, rather than conceptual, and tend to include small groups of students (25 or less), with considerable personal interaction between the cadre and the students.

The Basic Course is for freshmen and sophomores and consists of a series of four, one-credit classes that are open to all students with no military obligation. Student instruction includes basic leadership skills, an orientation to the U.S. Army, time management and other academic skills, decision making, and adventure training opportunities (rappelling, land navigation, etc.).

Faculty and the advanced course cadets form support groups and act as mentors to the basic course students, providing assistance and a positive environment. Students enrolled in the basic course can compete for two- and three-year scholarships that will pay full tuition/fees and provide stipends.

The Advanced Course is for juniors and seniors and leads to a commission as a Second Lieutenant. This series of four, two-credit classes involves advanced practical leadership and military skills training, including a five-week summer training camp at Fort Lewis in the state of Washington. Students are paid and all travel, medical needs, lodging, and meals are provided while attending Advanced Camp.

No military obligation is incurred until the beginning of this phase. Once the student satisfactorily completes all ROTC

requirements and graduates from the University, he/she receives a commission in the U.S. Army (Active Duty or Reserve status).

Credit for Corporate, Military, or Professional Training

You can also receive credit for corporate, military, or professional training. The American Council on Education provides credit recommendations for many corporate training programs which are listed in The National Guide to Education Credit for Training Programs, published by the American Council on Education. Wilmington University will evaluate local training programs for credit provided the student is able to furnish all required documentation. Speak to your academic advisor for more information.