Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Master of Science
Applications to the CMHC program are accepted for admission in the summer. Applications for summer admission into the CMHC program must be received by February 1 of the same calendar year. Applications for the Certificate of Advanced Studies are accepted year-round.
For consideration and admission to the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program, applicants should submit:
- A graduate application for admission to Wilmington University and a non-refundable application processing fee.
Download the Application Materials
- Official transcripts sent directly to the Wilmington University Graduate Admissions Office from all accredited colleges, universities, or other degree-granting institutions attended at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Official verification of completion of a bachelor's degree is required prior to matriculation.
- Typed written responses to the two required CMHC thought questions included in the CMHC admissions application packet following the guidelines specified therein.
- Two Recommendation Forms for Graduate Admission included in the CMHC admissions application packet completed by individual references who can attest to an applicant's aptitude for graduate-level study, openness to self-reflection, and personal and professional self-development. Letters of recommendation may supplement the forms but are not acceptable in lieu of the forms.
- A current resume.
- A signed copy of the CMHC Program Retention statement included in the CMHC admissions application packet.
- If you are an international student, please click here for additional information.
The CMHC program has a two-stage admissions process. The first stage consists of an in-depth evaluation of the completed application materials by the CMHC admissions committee. Applicants who have met the CMHC program standards on all of the admissions application packet materials will then be invited to continue the second stage of the admissions application process by attending on-campus interviews (group and individual) with the admissions committee. Decisions regarding final acceptance are made by the CMHC admissions committee following these interviews. Successful applicants typically have an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better, documented work or volunteer experience in a "helping endeavor", excellent references, very good interpersonal awareness and communication skills, and have articulated a compelling interest in the profession of mental health counseling. The CMHC program adheres to the competitive enrollment standards required by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). Before entering the CMHC program, an applicant must complete all steps of the admissions process, receive formal notification of acceptance into the program, submit a signed copy of the CMHC program admissions policies and procedures agreement, and attend a required orientation meeting.
To have an application packet mailed to you, click here, or call the office of Graduate Admissions at (302) 295-1184.
This information applies to students who enter this degree program during the 2015-2016 Academic Year. If you entered this degree program before the Fall 2015 semester, please refer to the academic catalog for the year you began your degree program.