A good reason to join a professional organization is to network with folks already in your industry who can clue you in on hiring and career options. Also, many professional groups host experts who can speak about professional development requirements, organizational dynamics, and career opportunities. Do not underestimate the value of such organizations; you may form close relationships that may potentially help you to connect with sources of career and job information.
Below is a list of organizations that may assist you in areas of professional development, networking, and job information:
- SHRM (www.shrm.org) Contact Stephanie Narvell, Campus Advisor at email@example.com
- Nursing (http://www.nurse.org/orgs.shtml)
- Law/Criminal Justice (http://www.aele.org/Crimlinks.html)
- Human services (http://www.nationalhumanservices.org)
- iTAC (http://www.aicpa.org/)
To help support your efforts, we would like to offer assistance when you are considering joining a professional organization. At times, there are monetary fees associated with organizations and Career Services would like to supplement those costs, if possible. However, funds are limited and it will be a first come first serve system.
For more information contact Katie Ellis, Assistant Director of Career Services- Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-356-6791.