Kaltura Media and Blackboard
The Kaltura Building Block allows us to add powerful media tools to Blackboard, combing the best features of video sharing, webcam recording, screen recording, and more all within the Blackboard Learn environment. Creating and sharing multimedia learning content is easier than ever using these intuitive tools.
What do I use it for?
The Blackboard interface for Kaltura should be used for your original video content created for use in a Blackboard course. That original content could be videos recorded on your smartphone, webcam, or other video device. Other original content could be screencasts or videos created in other programs that you have saved to your computer in the past. There are also several tools now built into Blackboard that will allow you to create screencasts and webcam recordings right within Blackboard.
What isn’t Kaltura for?
Uploaded media should be your own, original instructional content. It is NOT for other people’s copyrighted works. Additionally, if you already have content in place on other sharing sites (such as YouTube or Vimeo) that you’ve embedded in courses you may want to leave it where it is, if it’s already functioning correctly. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or want to discuss what content should be relocated.
10 Tips for using Kaltura at Wilmington University
- Experiment! You won't break anything by playing with the tools - webcam recording, screen recording, and uploading local content. Try it out!
- Create! Try creating instructional content for your courses. You can make webcam recordings for announcements and discussion boards, you can create quick screencasts to illustrate a point or help explain course materials.
- Share! If you've created something that could work for other courses, visit the My Media module and contribute your video to the Faculty Video Repository so other instructors can find it!
- Use accurate titles, descriptions, and tags - this helps you find your own media and will help other instructors find your shared videos in the Faculty Repository.
- All content you create will always be in your My Media module and available to you in any course - you don't need to add to the Faculty Repository unless you want to share with other instructors.
- If you're not using content anymore (or you were just testing/experimenting) delete it from your My Media module as long as it's not also shared with the Faculty Repository.
- Students can use these tools as well - they have access to everything except the faculty repository, students can submit video presentations, screencasts, video discussion boards, graded media assignments, and more.
- Students can use the Mashup tool to add media content to any content area where the textbox WYSIWYG toolbar is available, or they can create content from their My Media module.
- Check out the video tutorials below for an in-depth look at the many features of Kaltura Media tools in Blackboard and these guides:
- Walkthrough of Kaltura - PDF
- Student Submissions and Gradable Content (for Faculty) - PDF
- Submitting Assignments with Kaltura (for Students) - PDF
- Narrating a PowerPoint with the Kaltura Screen Recorder - PDF
- Downloading Your Videos in Blackboard - PDF
- Creating In-Video Quizzes in Blackboard - PDF
- Default Audio Device Settings - Windows 7 - PDF
- Default Audio Device Settings - Mac OS - PDF
- How not to Look Ugly on a Webcam - Infographic
- Compressing Videos Using Handbrake - PDF
- Still have questions? Contact email@example.com for further assistance
Did you know that the Wilmington University Help Desk can help you if you're having technical problems with Kaltura?
The help desk can provide phone support, live chat, and can even remotely log into your computer to solve your problems quickly. Contact the help desk at the link below, you can use the "chat now" feature, fill out the form, or give them a call at the toll-free number. The Help Desk can provide assistance with java issues, the screen recorder, media uploading, webcam recording, and more! They will be able to assist you quickly!