Who We Are
The Wilmington University Department of Safety is staffed by Delaware state certified constables. WilmU Constables are licensed by the State of Delaware, certified in emergency medical response, and provide around the clock coverage for the New Castle, Wilson Graduate Center and Dover sites. WilmU Constables are augmented by a contract security firm as well as State, County and municipal police agencies.
University Safety Profile
- Experience in law enforcement
What are constables?
- Constables are trained professional safety officials who, according to Delaware law, have the same authority as police officers, within jurisdictional boundaries of Wilmington University, in order to protect life and property.
What authority do constables have?
- Wilmington University constables have the ability to make a custodial arrest, detain or search a person or place when the occurrence of a criminal act is reported.
- Wilmington University constables will notify and work with local law enforcement agencies who will formally charge and process any criminal matters.
- Wilmington University constables are certified in emergency medical response, and the constables have law enforcement backgrounds.
Constable Duties and Responsibilities
- Our security officers are available for escorts to and from the parking lot, particularly for those attending evening and night classes;
- Our security officers maintain campus security by addressing any criminal or suspicious behaviors.
- Our security officers maintain the physical safety of our campus and address any issues.