Wilmington University Testing Center
Taking ACCUPLACER® Tests at an Off-Campus Facility
If you are not near a Wilmington University campus or location, you have the following options for taking ACCUPLACER® tests.
The non-Wilmington University testing facility may charge a fee for taking the ACCUPLACER® test. These fees are your responsibility, and cannot be charged to or paid from your Wilmington University student account. There is no fee for taking the tests at a Wilmington University campus or location.
If you have any questions, please contact the University Information Center at 302-356-4636.
Another College or University Near You
Contact the testing center of a college near you to find out if they test students from other institutions. If they test students from other institutions, please identify yourself as a Wilmington University student who needs to complete ACCUPLACER® testing, inquire about the fee to use their facility, and obtain the following test administrator's contact information:
- Test administrator's name
- College or test center's name
- Test administrator's email address
- Test administrator's direct phone number
With this information:
- Complete the Off-Campus ACCUPLACER® Test Request form.
- You and the test administrator will receive confirmation and instructions for administering the ACCUPLACER® test within three days. Your confirmation will be sent to your Wilmington University student e-mail address. See below for general instructions for taking the test.
- Schedule the test with the college's testing center. (It's best to wait for the confirmation to schedule the test.) NOTE: you will not be able to take the online ACCUPLACER® test at another college until the test administrator receives our ACCUPLACER® instructions.
Sylvan Learning Center or
Huntington Learning Center
If you are unable to locate a college near you that offers testing for students from other institutions, please contact a local Sylvan Learning Center or Huntington Learning Center. It is important to inform the learning center that they will be able to administer ACCUPLACER® testing and that our office will email instructions directly to the test administrator. If the testing center states that they do not administer ACCUPLACER®, please ask the administrator to call 302-356-6933 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
To take the ACCUPLACER® placement test, you must:
- Bring a printout the Off-Campus Testing Confirmation email message to the testing location to give to the test administrator. Do not attend a testing appointment without the confirmation; it informs the administrator that you were given approval to test at their facility. NOTE: you will not be able to take the online ACCUPLACER® test at a learning center until the test administrator receives our instructions.
- Identify yourself as a Wilmington University student. If you do not, you may be accidentally administered the ACCUPLACER® test for the host campus or different institution. ACCUPLACER® tests and results for other institutions may be different and cannot be used by Wilmington University.
- Bring a photo ID for check-in purposes. You will not be permitted to test if you do not present this identification. Acceptable forms of photo ID include:
- current driver’s license or other state-approved ID;
- college ID;
- current state or federal ID card;
- current passport;
- naturalization card or certificate of citizenship.
- Bring several pencils and/or pens.
- NOT bring a calculator if you are taking the mathematics placement test. The calculator appears within the test when calculator use is appropriate.
- NOT bring your own scrap paper; it will be provided for you and collected from you at the end of the test. If you were not given scrap paper when seated, ask for it.
- Turn off all electronic devices and place them out of view at all times.
- Answer ALL questions on the tests to the best of your ability. See Taking the Tests below for additional information.
- See Completing the Tests below for additional procedures for the end of the testing session.
Preparing for the ACCUPLACER® tests
If desired, The College Board provides several resources to help you prepare for the placement tests on their web site at Prepare for ACCUPLACER®.
Taking the Tests
- Answering the Questions
The questions appear one at a time on the computer screen. Since most questions are multiple choice, all you have to do is use the ENTER key or mouse to select an answer. When you have completed the question and confirmed your answer, a new screen will appear with your next question.
- Adaptive Testing
Since each multiple-choice test is adaptive, the computer will automatically determine which questions are presented to you based on your responses to prior questions. This technique selects just the right questions to ask without being too easy or too difficult. Because the test works this way, you must answer every question when it is first given. Each test is un-timed so that you can give each question as much thought as you wish. However, once you have selected and confirmed your answer, you cannot return to that question. If you do not know the answer to a question, try to eliminate one or more of the choices.
Completing the Tests
- Your test scores and placement results appear on the computer screen at the end of your testing session.
- Before logging out of the test, ask the test administrator to print the score report and give you a copy for your reference/records. No one at the local campus or testing center will have access to your results once you are logged out of the test.
- Your results are sent electronically to Wilmington University. You do not need to send us a copy of score results.
- If you did not receive a copy of your score report, please contact the University Information Center at (302) 356-4636.
- See Your Test Results and Next Steps to proceed with course registration.