Special Instructions for Students,
Faculty, and Visitors
Welcome to the special instructions page for Joint Base / Maguire-Dix-Lakehurst, where students, faculty, and visitors can get information about special requirements for entering the JB-MDL.
Effective January 1, 2017
The REAL ID Act of 2005 will be implemented at the JB-MDL location. In accordance with the REAL ID Act of 2005, visitors seeking access to military bases and almost all Federal facilities using their state-issued driver's licenses or identification cards must present proper identification issued by REAL ID compliant states or a state that has received an extension.
At this time, the following states have received an extension, but will not be considered REAL ID compliant as of January 1, 2017. Military installations are prohibited from accepting driver’s licenses or state identification cards from states deemed non-REAL complaint.
*New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Arkansas, Alaska, California, Guam, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, N. Marianas, New Hampshire, New Mexico, N. Carolina, N. Dakota, Oregon, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, S. Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Virgin Islands.
Since Delaware is considered a compliant state, those with Delaware driver’s license should still be able to use this form of identification to access the Base.
Any instructor, student, or staff member holding a license from a non-compliant state, will need to provide a passport (along with the car registration and insurance card), or one of the other credentials listed below to gain access to the base.
In lieu of a passport, alternative credentials include:
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS
- Permanent Resident Card/Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
- Foreign passport with a temporary (I-551) stamp or temporary (I-551) printed notation on a machine readable immigrant visa
- Employment authorization document containing a photograph (Form I-766)
- U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Cards Credentials
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-550) and U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
- PIV or PIV-I Card, DHS "Trusted Traveler Cards" (Global entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- U.S. Refugee travel document or other travel document or evidence of immigration status issued by DHS containing a photograph
- Foreign Government Issued Passport
*All international students must have their Wilmington University ID and Passport when entering JB-MDL location.
*Students, faculty and staff are also required to carry their Wilmington University ID.
All JB-MDL visitors (civilian students, staff and faculty) will be required to obtain an approved JB-MDL civilian security pass from the JB-MDL Visitors Welcome Center prior to entering the JB-MDL Education Center.
JB-MDL Visitor Center hours 7:00am to 6:00pm
To obtain your pass, you will need to go to the Visitor's Center (located at the JB-MDL main gate entrance-intersection of Wrightstown Cookstown Road and Defense Access Road) and present appropriate documentation. Based on the number of visitors at the Center, it may take an hour or more to process your pass. Please plan on arriving at the Welcome Center at least an hour or more before the start of the first day of class.
Once you receive your pass, you may proceed to the Falcon Courts North Gate. This is the gate that provides access to the JB-MDL Education Center.
If additional information is needed, please call Wilmington University at 609-723-2790