Special Accommodations

Students with special needs may qualify for accommodations to help compensate for disabilities which impede their academic progress and lower classroom performance. To receive accommodations a student MUST notify the Office of Student Accessibility Services by completing a self-identification form and furnish documentation verifying the need for assistance. Each student bears the responsibility for contacting the appropriate clinical specialist who has diagnosed their disability and obtain objective data supporting the diagnosis and the need for service released and forwarded to this office. To avoid delays supporting data should be forwarded on a timely basis; INCOMPLETE FILES WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.

  1. Self-identify to the Office of Student Accessibility Services. Fill out a self-identification form (Appendix A) which includes the permission to notify instructors of accommodations. Students must identify services/accommodations they want implemented on this form.

    • If you would like to request additional accommodations after initial submission of this form, you must submit another self-identification form and request the additional accommodation(s). If additional documentation is needed, you will be notified by the SAS.
  2. Provide the Office of Student Accessibility Services with current documentation (less than three years old) from a licensed psychologist or physician or licensed specialist regarding the disability. Documentation should include a list of recommended accommodations. Documentation submitted must meet the criteria outlined in the Documentation Guidelines (Appendix E). Please show this document to the specialist documenting your disability. A brief note/letter that does not incorporate all of the elements in Appendix E is usually not sufficient. This will cause a delay in documenting your disability until proper and sufficient documentation is submitted.

Examples of frequently used supporting documentation:

  • Psychological/educational evaluation listing standard scores for cognitive ability, educational achievement levels and personality assessments.

  • Individual education plan (IEP) identifying academic strengths and weaknesses, and educational techniques and accommodations used. ( Will not be accepted in place of recommended documentation as it is not considered primary documentation)

  • Summaries of visual and auditory evaluations with evidence to verify the disability.

  • Psychiatric evaluation summaries with current DSM diagnosis.

    Submit your completed self-identification form and your documentation to:
    Wilmington University or fax to (302) 669-6601
    Attn: Student Accessibility Services
    320 N DuPont Hwy. New Castle, DE 19720

Once accommodations have been approved, and the student enrolls, the student’s instructor(s) will be able to view their list of approved accommodations for the said course. This process is done automatically unless the student notifies the OSAS in writing that they do not want this information released.

NOTE: The first week of class, make sure you introduce yourself to your instructor and discuss your special accommodation(s).

Need Help?

Christyn E. Rudolf
Manager of Student Accessibility Services
Student Life
Phone: (302) 356-6937