Credit for Prior Learning
Wilmington University offers credit recognition and opportunities for experiential learning.
Why relearn what you already know? At WilmU, you have options.
Many Wilmington University students have prior experiences through work or training programs that have have the potential for academic credit. In coordination with University faculty and Program Chairs, The Credit for Prior Learning team will review your resume, industry credentials such as trainings, certifications and professional licenses.
Each of these options requires:
- Completion of all Admissions requirements, including an official transfer credit evaluation, registration of your first semester and have been given a student email address.
- Documented, quantifiable, and measurable evidence that your experience matches academic requirements and competencies in your academic program in order to be eligible for academic credit.
Three ways to earn college credit for your experience
Credit through Alternative Providers
Alternative methods, such as exams, are a convenient and affordable option for students to earn academic credit for some courses in their degree program.
Certifications, Trainings, and Licenses
Industry-recognized certifications, work-based trainings, and professional licenses might provide you additional opportunities for earning academic credit.
Tools to Evaluate Academic Credit for Prior Learning
For WilmU admitted students
Our Prior Learning Specialists can identify sources of prior learning that can be leveraged for academic credit by reviewing information you provide via the Credit for Prior Learning Tool. To initiate the process, please complete the following steps:
- Attain full admission to Wilmington University, which indicates that:
- You have submitted all college transcripts.
- Your transfer credits have been evaluated by our Transfer Credit Evaluation office.
- You have registered for your first semester and your WilmU email address has been activated.
- When Step 1 is complete, return to this page and click on the Credit for Prior Learning Tool button below.
- Create an account with your student email address. Only WilmU student email addresses can be used (for example: email@example.com).
- Upload a recent resume along with any certifications, trainings or licenses you currently hold.
- A Prior Learning Specialist will review the information you have submitted and connect with you to discuss your options.
- Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
NOTE: The Credit for Prior Learning Tool is NOT meant for:
- Graduate-level students. Potential prior learning credit for graduate students is reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the relevant program chair. Find your program chair in the Faculty & Staff Directory.
- Nursing students (including BSN, MSN and DNP candidates). Instead, reach out to your program chair directly to inquire about prior learning. Contact your College of Health Professions Program Chair.
- Education students. Due to state and national standards, students in our education degree programs must work with their program chair regarding prior learning and credentials. Find your program chair in the Faculty & Staff Directory.
- Students not yet admitted to Wilmington University. Instead, see the Credit Predictor Standard Tool below.
For those not yet admitted to WilmU
The Council for Adult & Experiential Learning (CAEL) has created a tool just for Wilmington University to help you get the credit you deserve for your prior learning and experience. It’s a quick and easy online questionnaire that you can complete in about five minutes. To initiate the process, please complete the following steps:
- Click the Credit Predictor Standard Tool button below to access the questionnaire.
- Submit your answers.
- Review the information provided and submit your email address to learn more about your options.