Credit for Prior Learning
Wilmington University offers credit recognition and opportunities for experiential learning.
Why relearn what you already know? At WilmU, you have options.
Many Wilmington University students have prior experiences through work or training programs that have have the potential for academic credit. In coordination with University faculty and Program Chairs, The Credit for Prior Learning team will review your resume, industry credentials such as trainings, certifications and professional licenses.
Each of these options requires:
- Completion of all Admissions requirements, including an official transfer credit evaluation, registration of your first semester and have been given a student email address.
- Documented, quantifiable, and measurable evidence that your experience matches academic requirements and competencies in your academic program in order to be eligible for academic credit.
Three ways to earn college credit for your experience
Credit through Alternative Providers
Alternative methods, such as exams, are a convenient and affordable option for students to earn academic credit for some courses in their degree program.
Certifications, Trainings, and Licenses
Industry-recognized certifications, work-based trainings, and professional licenses might provide you additional opportunities for earning academic credit.
Portfolio Assessment is a collection of materials compiled to demonstrate previous college-level learning relevant to a student's degree plan.
Credit for Prior Learning Tool
The WilmU Credit for Prior Learning Tool allows Prior Learning Specialists to review the information you provide to assess and identify avenues that can be leveraged. In order to submit information into the tool you must complete the following steps:
- Have been fully accepted by admissions which means:
- You have submitted all college transcripts.
- Your transfer credits are evaluated and have been notified via email by our TCE (Transfer Credit Evaluation) office.
- You have registered for your first semester and have received a Wilmu email address.
- Upon completing step 1, click on the Credit for Prior Learning Tool button below and create an account with your student email address. Note- only WilmU student email addresses can be used (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Once in, upload a recent resume along with any certifications, trainings or licenses you currently hold.
- When submitted, a Prior Learning Specialist will review your information and reach out.
- Once submitted, a Prior Learning Specialist will review your information and connect with you, if you have completed all of the admissions steps outlined above. If you have any other questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
Do not complete the tool if you:
- Are a nursing student (which includes BSN, MSN and DNP). Instead, reach out to your Program Chair directly to inquire about prior learning: Contact your College of Health Professions Program Chair.
- Are a graduate student. All potential prior learning credit is reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the relevant Program Chair. See our Faculty & Staff Directory to find and contact your Program Chair.
- Are a prospective student (you must be fully accepted with a transfer credit evaluation and student email), see above.
- Are an education student. Due to state and national standards, all college of education students should reach out to their Program Chair regarding prior learning and credentials. See our Faculty & Staff Directory to find and contact your Program Chair.