Non-Degree Options

Completed a degree? Don’t have a teaching license? Still want to teach?

Here are some options:

OPTION ONE: Students who graduated from the Wilmington University Education Studies Program may return to Wilmington University (as non-degree students), complete the following courses, and become eligible to apply for a Delaware Initial License and certification:

  • Required Methods courses for the Program (these may or may not have been completed within their Education Studies programs).
  • Practicum I, II, and III (some returning students may have completed some or all of these within their Education Studies programs)
  • Student Teaching and EDU 452 Performance Assessment.
  • The appropriate PRAXIS II is required before student teaching
  • The PPAT (Praxis Performance Assessment for Teachers) is required during the student teaching semester.

OPTION TWO:  Students who have graduated with Non-Education Degrees (such as General Studies, Psychology, etc.) have the option of returning to complete an Undergraduate Dual Degree.  This option requires a minimum of 30 upper level credits which includes, among others:  the Methods courses, Practicum I, II, III, Student Teaching, and the Performance Assessment.  The Wilmington University policy for Undergraduate Dual Degrees apply.  The PRAXIS II requirement before student teaching is also required. Please note that all required courses in the education degree must be completed.

OPTION THREE:  Students holding a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education Studies or in any non-Education Major may apply for admission to the M.Ed. in Elementary Education, the M.Ed. in Special Education or the M.A. in Secondary Teaching.  These are licensure programs which contribute to eligibility for Delaware licensure/certification. Passing scores for the appropriate Praxis II exams are required for all students seeking licensure and must be submitted when applying for the student teaching semester. 

*Please note that non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid and may be directed to pursue a graduate degree. 

This information applies to students who enter this degree program during the 2018-2019 Academic Year. If you entered this degree program before the Fall 2018 semester, please refer to the academic catalog for the year you began your degree program.