School Leadership

Master of Education

Administrative Certification

The M.Ed. in School Leadership meets the academic certification requirements in Delaware for the positions of assistant principal/principal. In addition, if not taken at the undergraduate level, a course in Child, Adolescent or Human Development is required.

Candidates taking courses to satisfy certification requirements are personally responsible for verifying, with the appropriate licensure/certification authority in another state, that such course work is applicable and acceptable. Students are also responsible for meeting all state-mandated testing requirements for teachers and administrators (PRAXIS core, PRAXIS II, SLLA, etc.), for fulfilling state-mandated degree and/or teaching experience requirements, and for applying for credentials. Students are requested to provide copies of scores on state-mandated examinations. These scores provide valuable data essential to maintaining CAEP/NCATE accreditation status.

The Delaware State Board of Education adopted new regulations for certification as a school leader effective March 11, 2013. These regulations require a master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited college or university in educational leadership or administration. The program must be nationally accredited/recognized or state-approved using CAEP/NCATE standards; or the applicant must hold a degree from a regionally accredited college or university in any field and successfully complete one of the following: A School Principal Course of Study as defined by 14 DE Admin. Code 1595 or a School Principal Certification program pursuant to 14 DE Admin. Code 1595.

Delaware experience requirements for a School Assistant Principal and Principal certificate specify the following: “A minimum of 5 years of teaching experience as defined in 16 DE Reg 969 (03/01/13).”

Wilmington University reserves the right to change requirements to comply with any licensure/certification mandates of the Delaware Department of Education.

This information applies to students who enter this degree program during the 2018-2019 Academic Year. If you entered this degree program before the Fall 2018 semester, please refer to the academic catalog for the year you began your degree program.