Debt Management and Default Prevention

Debt Alert!

Most of you are aware that once you’ve graduated you are responsible for paying back your student loan debt. But what you may not be aware of is the amount of federal loan debt you have. Please visit

to view your borrowing history.

Are You Ready to Graduate? Have You Borrowed Federal Student Loans?

If so, then you are required to complete Exit Counseling. Exit Counseling is federally required for federal student loan borrowers who:

  • Drop below half-time enrollment
  • Graduate
  • Leave school

What is Exit Counseling?

Exit Counseling provides important information you will need as you prepare to repay your federal student loan(s). Topics include:

  • Understanding your loans
  • Plan to repay
  • Avoid default
  • Make finances a priority

To complete required Exit Counseling for subsidized/unsubsidized loans and PLUS Loans under the Direct Loan Program or the FFEL program:

  • Sign into using your Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID)
  • Select your degree level and follow prompts
  • Select the school(s) you want to notify of counseling completion

Once you sign in, you will be able to:

  • See your federal student loan information available in the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS)
  • Notify schools of counseling completion
  • View proof of counseling completion

For more information please view our exit loan counseling overview video.

Important Websites

Q & A

Will I be able to save my exit counseling session and return at a later time to complete it?

No, your progress will not be saved if you navigate away from your exit counseling session or logout of the Web site.

Who do I contact to get more information regarding my loan status?

Your school will tell you what loans, if any, you are eligible to receive. If you have questions regarding your loan eligibility, the next steps in the processing of your loan, when the loan will be disbursed (paid out), or no longer wish to receive the loan, contact your school's financial aid office.

Who do I contact to get more information regarding loan repayment, deferment or forbearance?

Contact your loan servicer if you have questions regarding loan repayment, deferment, or forbearance. Select "Additional Information" on the "Contact Us" page.

How do I make payments on my loan?

Contact your loan servicer with questions about repayment.

Who is my loan servicer?

Direct Loan borrowers are assigned a loan servicer after the first disbursement of their loan. Your loan servicer will contact you directly after you receive your first disbursement. Contact your loan servicer with questions about repayment. For a list of loan servicers, select "Additional Information" on the "Contact Us" page to access the list of servicers and their contact information or click here.

What if I do not have a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID)?

If you do not have a Federal Student Aid ID, visit: to create one. Use of another person's FSA ID constitutes fraud. Use only your own FSA ID information.