Having current photo identification (I.D.) is an important resource to have with you at all times while in the United States. Student ID's are required for admittance to some locations on-campus and for student services.

Student IDs

Student ID cards are issued through the University Information Center located in the Audrey K. Doberstein Admission Center (DAC) at the New Castle campus and through the site offices in Kent and Sussex Counties. Your ID card is also your library card.

Driver’s License Procedures

To get a driver's license, students will need to submit an official denial letter from the Social Security Administration office. This letter can only come from the Social Security Administration, not the university. Previous to October 2023, a letter was provided by the International Affairs office; this is no longer in use as this is not what the DMV needs.

Follow these 2 steps to apply for your driver's license.

Step 1: Apply for a Social Security Card

F-1 students are not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN). To get an official denial letter, an F-1 student must provide a copy of their visa, Continued Attendance I-20, and a completed Application for a Social Security Card, form SS-5. Download form SS-5 from the U.S. Social Security Administration website.

The current recommendation is that students go to the Social Security Administration office in the state in which they are living and applying for the driver's license. To find your local office, please use this search feature:

In the Social Security Administration office, explain that you need a Social Security Card Denial Letter to get a driver’s license. Follow the procedures of the office (which may vary by location). Depending on volume, you may be able to get the letter same day.

Step 2: Go to the DMV and Apply for the Driver's License

Each state’s DMV has their own requirements to apply for a Driver’s License, please visit their websites for exact procedures.

Did you know: You may be able to rent a car with your international license! Check the rental company’s website to see if your license qualifies.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax processing number the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues to an individual who needs to report income but is ineligible to obtain a Social Security number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration. To apply for an ITIN, an F or M student must submit a Form W-7 (Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), with a U.S. tax return. (

An F-1 Student who is ineligible for an SSN must apply for an ITIN if any of the following occur:

  • Reception of a grant, fellowship, or scholarship
  • Interest from stock options, lottery, or gambling winnings
  • Other types of non-wage income

Please carefully review the most up to date IRS guidance on which documents to submit alongside the W-7 to avoid any mistakes in filing. While Wilmington University DSO’s are happy to provide an I-20 if needed, there is no other documentation or letter that is needed from International Affairs.

Helpful Links