WilmU Book Club
January 2021 | This Is Chance!
Wednesday, January 27, 2021
Online through Zoom
Please join the WilmU Book Club for an online discussion of Jon Mooallem's book, This is Chance! The Shaking of an All-American City, A Voice That Held It Together. The thrilling, cinematic story of a community shattered by disaster—and the extraordinary woman who helped pull it back together.
Students, Faculty, Alumni, and Staff are all welcome!
Borrow the ebook or audiobook for free on Overdrive through your local library! More details here.
ABOUT THE BOOK
In the spring of 1964, Anchorage, Alaska, was a modern-day frontier town yearning to be a metropolis—the largest, proudest city in a state that was still brand-new. But just before sundown on Good Friday, the community was jolted by the most powerful earthquake in American history, a catastrophic 9.2 on the Richter Scale. For four and a half minutes, the ground lurched and rolled. Streets cracked open and swallowed buildings whole. And once the shaking stopped, night fell and Anchorage went dark. The city was in disarray and sealed off from the outside world.
Slowly, people switched on their transistor radios and heard a familiar woman’s voice explaining what had just happened and what to do next. Genie Chance was a part-time radio reporter and working mother who would play an unlikely role in the wake of the disaster, helping to put her fractured community back together.
- December 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Kinship of Secrets
- November 2020: WilmU Book Club | How to Be an Antiracist
- October 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
- September 2020: WilmU Book Club | Educated: A Memoir
- August 2020: WilmU Book Club | A Woman Is No Man
- July 2020: WilmU Book Club | Grace Will Lead Us Home
- June 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Turn of the Key
- May 2020: WilmU Book Club | Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
- April 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Library Book
- November 2020: WilmU Book Club | Dopesick
- October 2019: WilmU Book Club | Our Towns
- September 2019: WilmU Book Club | Lit Up
- July 2019: WilmU Book Club | Full Body Burden
- May 2019: WilmU Book Club | Heartland
- April 2019: WilmU Book Club | Mudbound
- March 2019: WilmU Book Club | No Apparent Distress
- February 2019: WilmU Book Club Author Event | Beyond Every Wall
- January 2019: WilmU Book Club | Just Mercy
- April 2018: AuthorTalk with H.K. Rhudd | The Month of June
- October 2017: AuthorTalk with Kate Roshon | Haven
- April 2017: AuthorTalk with Jamie Kleman | The Nevergreen Tree
- February 2013: Author Event with Daniel R. Biddle & Murray Dubin | Tasting Freedom
- Spring 2011: Outcasts United
- November 2009: Vietnam Mailbag
- June 2009: Author Event with Juan Diaz
- April 2009: Maya Angelou
- March 2009: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio
- February 2009: Nikki Giovanni...
Poet, Writer, Commentator, Activist & Educator
- October 2008: Persepolis
The Story of a Childhood
- July 2008: The Tour to End All Tours
- March 2008: The Monsters of Templeton
- January 2008: The Jersey Devil
- Fall 2007: Night
- Summer 2007: Finn
- April 2007: The Saint of Lost Things
- March 2007: Murder In Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van
Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance