WilmU Book Club
September 2019 | Lit Up: One Reporter. Three Schools. Twenty-four Books That Can Change Lives.
Thursday, September 26, 2019 | 12:30 PM
Pratt Student Center, New Castle Campus
Please join the WilmU Book Club for a discussion on David Denby's book, Lit Up: One Reporter. Three Schools. Twenty-four Books That Can Change Lives. Students, Faculty, Alumni and Staff are all welcome!
Students, Staff and Faculty members can borrow a copy of the book from the Delaware Library Catalog. Click on 'Place Hold' to have the book sent to the Wilmington University Library in New Castle.
ABOUT THE BOOK
A bestselling author and distinguished critic goes back to high school to find out whether books can shape lives. It’s no secret that millions of American teenagers, caught up in social media, television, movies, and games, don’t read seriously-they associate sustained reading with duty or work, not with pleasure. This indifference has become a grievous loss to our standing as a great nation--and a personal loss, too, for millions of teenagers who may turn into adults with limited understanding of themselves and the world.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
David Denby was born in New York City in 1943, and was educated at Columbia and Stanford. He is the author of Great Books, an acclaimed account of returning to college and reading the Western classics during the curriculum wars; American Sucker, Snark, and Do the Movies Have a Future?
Denby is a staff writer and former film critic for The New Yorker, and his reviews and essays have appeared in The New Republic, The Atlantic, and New York magazine, among other places. He lives in New York City with his wife, writer Susan Rieger. He has two sons and two grandsons.
Upcoming Book Club Events
- October 2019: To Be Announced
- July 2019: WilmU Book Club | Full Body Burden
- May 2019: WilmU Book Club | Heartland
- April 2019: WilmU Book Club | Mudbound
- March 2019: WilmU Book Club | No Apparent Distress
- February 2019: WilmU Book Club Author Event | Beyond Every Wall
- January 2019: WilmU Book Club | Just Mercy
- April 2018: AuthorTalk with H.K. Rhudd | The Month of June
- October 2017: AuthorTalk with Kate Roshon | Haven
- April 2017: AuthorTalk with Jamie Kleman | The Nevergreen Tree
- February 2013: Author Event with Daniel R. Biddle & Murray Dubin | Tasting Freedom
- Spring 2011: Outcasts United
- November 2009: Vietnam Mailbag
- June 2009: Author Event with Juan Diaz
- April 2009: Maya Angelou
- March 2009: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio
- February 2009: Nikki Giovanni...
Poet, Writer, Commentator, Activist & Educator
- October 2008: Persepolis
The Story of a Childhood
- July 2008: The Tour to End All Tours
- March 2008: The Monsters of Templeton
- January 2008: The Jersey Devil
- Fall 2007: Night
- Summer 2007: Finn
- April 2007: The Saint of Lost Things
- March 2007: Murder In Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van
Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance