Veterans' Affairs

Guidelines for Certification of Veterans' Educational Benefits

Wilmington University programs have been approved for the awarding of benefits to eligible veterans.

The Veterans’ Affairs Office has been established by the University to coordinate veterans’ programs and services. The office provides assistance in applying for educational benefits.

A veteran must be matriculated at Wilmington University prior to certification for educational benefits. A matriculated student is one who:

  • Has filed an official University application.
  • Has declared the intent to pursue a specific program.
  • Has been fully accepted by the University.
  • Is registered for a specific course/courses.

Upon verification of a veteran student’s enrollment and his/her satisfactory progress, (prescribed by University guidelines), a Certification of Enrollment will be forwarded to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

How to Apply for VA Educational Benefits

  1. Access GI Bill Website at
  2. Complete the online application by clicking on the VONAPP link
  3. Print Signature Page after completing the online application
  4. Send completed Signature Page to Buffalo Region VA Office (address found on website)
  5. Submit copy of completed Signature Page to Wilmington University
  6. Be sure to notify Wilmington University any time you register or change your registration

Veteran's Enrollment

As mandated by the Veterans Affairs Administration, the student must be enrolled at least 51% per block to be eligible for his/her BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) and at least one course per block must be in a face-to-face classroom setting.

VA payments cannot be made for courses from which a student withdraws unless such a change was warranted by circumstances beyond the student’s control. Students will be required to submit supporting evidence to substantiate the change in enrollment status. Examples of such evidence are:

  1. A doctor’s certification to verify an illness or,
  2. A statement from an employer to confirm a required change in work schedule, etc. or,
  3. A change in service activation status.

If evidence is not provided to substantiate that the change was due to unanticipated circumstances beyond the student’s control, the education award may be reduced effective the first day of the semester in which the change took place.