English & Math Placement Testing
English and Math Skills Assessments are required for any undergraduate student who has not transferred acceptable credits for the following requirements: MAT 110, MAT 121, MAT 201, MAT 205, ENG 110, or ENG 121. These results permit the University to place the student in the appropriate level math or English course. Students who provide documentation of the following scores will be exempt from the skills assessment in that area:
Pre-March 2016 SAT
- A score of 450 or above will be exempt from the Math Placement.
- Critical Reading scores of 450 or above will be exempt from the English placement.
- A score of 530 or above will be exempt from the Math Placement.
- Evidence-Based Reading and Writing scores of 480 or above will be exempt from the English placement.
- A score of 21 or above will be exempt from the Math Placement test.
English and Reading
- A combined score of 34 or higher from the English and Reading sections will be exempt from the English Placement test.
Smarter Balanced Assessment
- Individuals with a score of 3 who take Algebra 2 or a higher level mathematics course in their senior year and at least a B, may enroll directly into MAT121, MAT201, or MAT205 without taking the Accuplacer placement exam.
- Individuals with a score of 4 may enroll directly into MAT122 and receive credit for MAT121 without taking the Accuplacer placement exam. Students may also enroll directly into MAT201 and MAT205.
- Individuals with a score of 3 or above may enroll directly into ENG121 without taking the Accuplacer placement exam. Students with a score of 4 are recommended to consider dual enrollment English in their senior year.
To complete the Math and English Skills Assessment:
- Review testing dates and locations to schedule a convenient time to take the skills assessment at one of our locations
Important ACCUPLACER® Testing Information
at a Wilmington University campus or location
at a non-Wilmington University location
Sample questions and smartphone apps from The College Board
More about ACCUPLACER®
- About the ACCUPLACER® Placement Testing System
- ACCUPLACER® Test Regulations and Confidentiality
- ACCUPLACER® Proctor Guidelines
* Some students may be exempt from placement testing due to standardized test scores or transfer student status. See Placement Testing Exemptions for a complete list of students who are not required to take placement tests.
** Placement testing is only required prior to registering for freshman English and math course requirements. Students may register for courses for which their required English and math courses are not pre-requisites. Students may choose to register for ENG 095 or MAT 095 without taking ACCUPLACER. Students selecting ENG/MAT 095 as their beginning level course are required to follow the sequence and complete the related ENG/MAT 110 course with a "C" or higher before being allowed to register for ENG 121 or the first level math for their degree program.