Frequently Asked Questions
- I've been recently hired as an adjunct instructor at Wilmington University. Where do I obtain an employment packet and what employment paperwork must I complete?
- Do I need to attend an Adjunct Faculty Administrative Orientation?
- How will I receive a Wilmington University e-mail address and Login Information for the myWilmU (Faculty portal)?
- When can I expect my Teaching Agreement Letter?
- How much am I paid for my course?
- When can I expect to be paid?
- Who do I contact if there appears to be a problem with the information contained in the Teaching Confirmation Letter or Payment Letter?
- How will I receive work from my students?
- How do I register for Canvas Training?
- Where can I find an overview of what is expected of me as an instructor at Wilmington University?
- Where can I find my class roster, current book title and edition, and room location?
- When are my final grades due and where do I submit them?
- What happens when scheduled face to face classes are cancelled?
- When must I take attendance and where is it submitted?
- How do I arrange for audiovisual equipment in my classroom?
- Where can I find specific information or contact information for my college?
- Where can I find site specific information?
- How can I help students with special needs?
I've been recently hired as an adjunct instructor at Wilmington University. Where do I obtain an employment packet and what employment paperwork must I complete?
Once the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) receives the New Hire Form from your Program Chair, you will receive an e-mail with the following information:
- Temporary login information for Canvas training and the WilmU Learning Center
- Information for accessing the WilmU Learning Center with directions for enrolling in the Canvas training.
Once you have been assigned a course, you will receive the following:
- A follow-up email with a WilmU email address with a permanent login for myWilmU Faculty Portal.
- Information for accessing the New Adjunct Orientation Online
- A New Adjunct Hire Checklist will be attached detailing required forms and trainings, and the process for sending/requesting an official transcript for your highest earned degree.
- Information regarding the pre-employment screening process – A separate email will be sent to you from our third party processor, Sterling Talent Solutions, that will contain a request for your authorization to complete the process (complete and return this form as soon as the email is received).
The orientation will also guide you through the paperwork process.
*It is mandatory that you complete the orientation, all necessary paperwork, FERPA training, and Canvas Basic and Advanced training prior to teaching your first course. If you are scheduled to teach a course with an online component (Distance Learning, Fusion, or Hybrid), you must also complete Hybrid Online Training (HOT) before the start of your class.
Yes. All adjunct faculty are required to complete the New Adjunct Orientation. You will receive a link to the online orientation once you have completed Canvas Basic & Advanced training and you have been assigned a course. You will access the orientation via the WilmU Learning Center (Faculty Onboarding Course).
How will I receive a Wilmington University e-mail address and Login Information for the myWilmU (Faculty portal)?
Your WU e-mail will be sent to your personal e-mail account after we receive notification that you have been assigned to a course. You will receive the email address which is also your permanent login for myWilmU faculty portal. Once you receive your WilmU email address, please use this for all future correspondence with WU employees and students. We will no longer use your personal e-mail account when corresponding with you.
Teaching confirmation letters (confirmation of course(s) assigned to you) are sent to your WU e-mail account approximately 2-3 weeks prior to the start of the semester. It is expected that your Program Chair will contact you in advance regarding your teaching availability. You may check your upcoming teaching schedule at any time by logging into your myWilmU (faculty self-service). Questions regarding your teaching assignments (current and future) should be directed to your Program Chair.
Specific payment amount questions should be directed to your Director or Program Chair. Payment may be adjusted according to lower enrollments. If you have a question regarding reduced payments, please contact your Program Director or Program Chair.
You will be paid on the last working day of the months you are teaching. Those months depend on the type of course you are teaching.
- Block courses are paid in 2 equal payments on the last working day of each month during the block (Includes Directed Studies, Indirect Studies, Internships, and PLAs). If a block begins near the end of the month, the payments will be distributed over the following 2 months. For example, if Fall begins on August 28 th, your payments will be made will be made on the last pay dates (working days) in September and October
- Semester courses are paid in 4 equal payments at the end of each month during the semester (Includes Directed Studies, Indirect Studies, Internships, and PLAs). If a semester begins near the end of the month, the payments will be distributed over the following 4 months. For example, if Fall begins on August 28 th, your payments will be made on the last pay dates (working days) in September, October, November, and December.
- Modular courses are paid at the end of the designated "modular month". For example, "M1" and "M3" will be paid at the end of the first month of the block and "M2" and "M4" will be paid at the end of the second month of the block. If the term begins near the end of a month, the first modular of the block will be paid on the last working day of the following month – For example, if M1 first meets in late August, the payment will not be made until the end of September. If M3 meets in late October, the payment will not be made until the end of November
- Fusion courses are paid in accordance with their scheduled meeting dates. For example, "Fusion 1" and "Fusion 2" courses are paid in the same manner as Modular courses – If the term begins near the end of a month, the F1 will be paid on the last working day of the following month – For example, if F1 begins in late August, the payment will not be made until the end of September. If F2 begins in late October, the payment will not be made until the end of November. "Fusion 3" courses are paid the same as a regular block course.
Who do I contact if there appears to be a problem with the information contained in the Teaching Confirmation Letter or Payment Letter?
If you believe there are errors contained in the Teaching Agreement letter, please notify the Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) by submitting the Teaching Agreement Inquiry Form.
Every effort is made to ensure that your pay has been calculated correctly. If you have a question about your pay, please submit the Payment Inquiry Form.
Faculty are encouraged to have their students submit their work to an assignment that has been created in the Grade Center in Canvas. If you do not have assignments created in Canvas, please ask your students to email their work to your WilmU email address. For all other types of student work (that cannot be electronically sent), please contact your Site where you are teaching for assistance.
Faculty members are required to complete the Canvas Basic and Advanced training classes. If you are teaching a course with an online format (Distance Learning, Hybrid, Fusion), you are also required to complete Canvas Advanced and Hybrid Online Training (HOT) courses before you can be assigned a course.
You may attend in person or online. To register for the training, please log into the WilmU Learning Center using the username and password sent to you in your “welcome” letter to register for the Canvas training. You will receive confirmation of your registration with additional directions from the Online Learning & Education Technology department. To access the Canvas training, you will use the temporary username and password included in your email from CTE. Questions regarding Canvas training should be directed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 48 hours for a response if emailing over a weekend or university holiday.
Teaching expectations are outlined in the New Adjunct Orientation ( http://www.wilmu.edu/faculty/orientation/) in the “Teaching Expectations” section of the orientation and are also available on the CTE website.
Where can I find my class roster, current book title and edition, and room location?
The above information can be found in your myWilmU faculty portal. Click on myWilmU from the University’s homepage ( www.wilmu.edu) and login with the username and password that was sent to you from CTE. The username is your complete Wilmington University email address ( email@example.com). If you cannot remember your password, at the log in screen for myWilmU, use the “forgot password” feature. A temporary password will be sent to your personal email address that is on file. Follow the directions in that email to update your password. Questions regarding access to your email (password not valid) should be directed to our Technology Support group at 877-708-2905. We recommend calling the Help Desk directly instead of emailing them. If there are any other issues or our Tech Support cannot help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When are my final grades due and where do I submit them?
Final grades are due within 7 days after your last class. Grades are entered online using your myWilmU faculty portal. The homepage has a direct link to Grade Entry and provides directions for you to follow if needed. Any changes to grades that have been entered must be changed using the Grade Change Form, available on the homepage of the faculty portal in the Forms section.
If you are using the Grade Entry option in Canvas, you will still need to 'manually' enter your final grades using your myWilmU faculty portal.
In the event that a schedule face to face class is cancelled, it is imperative that all course instructional goals are still met.
- Many face to face instructors will choose to shift to a modified online format with the instructor providing assignments, communicating with students and even posting examinations via Canvas in place of a face to face class session.
- Some instructors will choose face to face make up class sessions.
- Contact the appropriate Site Director in order to schedule a classroom during reading week. Site contact information is available in the New Adjunct Orientation at http://www.wilmu.edu/faculty/orientation/.
Clear communication with students regarding make up sessions is essential.
- If you are cancelling your class, please complete the Class Cancellation Notification form available on the Center for Teaching Excellence’s website or at Class Cancellation Notification form. You may also call 302-356-6736 if you do not have access to a computer.
- You should also post an announcement (and select the email to all option) on your Canvas site for the cancelled class with specifics about that class’s assignments, etc.
When must I take attendance and where is it submitted?
Attendance must be submitted weekly through your myWilmU faculty portal. The link to the attendance section is available on the faculty homepage. Please review the directions for submitting attendance as the process differs depending on the modality of your course (face-2-face-, hybrid, online). Please make sure this is done weekly as it is important to retention statistics and student records.
Some classrooms are equipped with Teaching Stations that include a computer, projector, VCR and DVD player. You should always reserve any AV equipment needed just in case your classroom does not have the Teaching Station. Reservations should be made 2 business days in advance of your class by e-mailing email@example.com or by contacting the site office directly. Refer to the Helpful Hints for your site for contact information or you may refer to http://www.wilmu.edu/avsupport/index.aspx for additional classroom technology services.
Where can I find specific/contact information for my college?
Information for contacting Deans, Directors, Program Chairs, or other Academic College personnel can be found in the New Adjunct Orientation ( http://www.wilmu.edu/faculty/orientation/) in the “Resources at a Glance” section – click on the appropriate College’s name to go to their website and then click on “Meet the faculty”.
Where can I find site specific information?
The information is available in the New Adjunct Faculty Online Orientation at http://www.wilmu.edu/faculty/orientation/, select “Site Information” from the menu after your start the orientation. This information is also available on the CTE website at http://www.wilmu.edu/faculty/documents-and-forms.aspx (in the Helpful Hints section).