WilmU Book Club
Beyond Every Wall with Author Dr. Velma Scantlebury
Thursday, February 28, 2019 | 5:30 PM
Pratt Student Center, New Castle Campus
Please join us for a discussion with author Dr. Velma Scantlebury about her book, Beyond Every Wall.
A book signing will follow the discussion. Copies of the book will be available for purchase. This event is open to the
public and free to attend. Refreshments will be served.
Event will be live streamed! View online here.RSVP to reserve your spot today!
ABOUT THE BOOK
In Dr. Scantlebury’s first book, Beyond Every Wall, she shares the amazing story of her journey to becoming America’s first African American, female transplant surgeon.
“An easy read with a powerful message for men and women alike. We all have something to learn from Dr. Scantlebury‘s journey. Faith, hope, dedication and love of family are intertwined throughout. Enjoy!” - Marjorie Snee
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Dr. Scantlebury is the first African American female transplant surgeon of the United States. She has received many honors in her career having been named to both the “Best Doctors in America” and “Top Doctors in America” lists multiple times.
Dr. Scantlebury has been awarded the Woman of Spirit Award for inspiring others and the “Gift of Life Award” from the National Kidney Foundation. She has performed over 2,000 transplants and published many peer-reviewed papers. Dr. Scantlebury currently heads the Christiana Care Health System’s out-patient kidney transplant program.
Upcoming Book Club Events
- March 18, 2019: WilmU Book Club | No Apparent Distress: A Doctor's Coming of Age on the Front Line of Medicine
- April 8, 2019: WilmU Book Club | Mudbound
- May 23, 2019: WilmU Book Club | Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth
- January 2019: WilmU Book Club | Just Mercy
- April 2018: AuthorTalk with H.K. Rhudd | The Month of June
- October 2017: AuthorTalk with Kate Roshon | Haven
- April 2017: AuthorTalk with Jamie Kleman | The Nevergreen Tree
- February 2013: Author Event with Daniel R. Biddle & Murray Dubin | Tasting Freedom
- Spring 2011: Outcasts United
- November 2009: Vietnam Mailbag
- June 2009: Author Event with Juan Diaz
- April 2009: Maya Angelou
- March 2009: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio
- February 2009: Nikki Giovanni...
Poet, Writer, Commentator, Activist & Educator
- October 2008: Persepolis
The Story of a Childhood
- July 2008: The Tour to End All Tours
- March 2008: The Monsters of Templeton
- January 2008: The Jersey Devil
- Fall 2007: Night
- Summer 2007: Finn
- April 2007: The Saint of Lost Things
- March 2007: Murder In Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van
Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance