WilmU Book Club
March 2021 | Our Time Is Now
Wednesday, March 24, 2021
Online through Zoom
Please join the WilmU Book Club for an online discussion of Stacey Abrams' book, Our Time Is Now: Power, Purpose, and the Fight for a Fair America.
"This is a narrative that describes the urgency that compels me and millions more to push for a different American story than the one being told today. It's a story that is one part danger, one part action, and all true. It's a story about how and why we fight for our democracy and win."
- Stacey Abrams
Students, Faculty, Alumni, and Staff are all welcome!
Borrow an ebook or audiobook on Overdrive through your local library! More details here.
ABOUT THE BOOK
A recognized expert on fair voting and civic engagement, Abrams chronicles a chilling account of how the right to vote and the principle of democracy have been and continue to be under attack. Abrams would have been the first African American woman governor, but experienced these effects firsthand, despite running the most innovative race in modern politics as the Democratic nominee in Georgia. Abrams didn’t win, but she has not conceded. The book compellingly argues for the importance of robust voter protections, an elevation of identity politics, engagement in the census, and a return to moral international leadership.
A preview of the book can be read here.
- February 2021: WilmU Book Club | The Truths We Hold & A Promised Land
- January 2021: WilmU Book Club | This is Chance!
- December 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Kinship of Secrets
- November 2020: WilmU Book Club | How to Be an Antiracist
- October 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
- September 2020: WilmU Book Club | Educated: A Memoir
- August 2020: WilmU Book Club | A Woman Is No Man
- July 2020: WilmU Book Club | Grace Will Lead Us Home
- June 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Turn of the Key
- May 2020: WilmU Book Club | Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
- April 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Library Book
- November 2020: WilmU Book Club | Dopesick
- October 2019: WilmU Book Club | Our Towns
- September 2019: WilmU Book Club | Lit Up
- July 2019: WilmU Book Club | Full Body Burden
- May 2019: WilmU Book Club | Heartland
- April 2019: WilmU Book Club | Mudbound
- March 2019: WilmU Book Club | No Apparent Distress
- February 2019: WilmU Book Club Author Event | Beyond Every Wall
- January 2019: WilmU Book Club | Just Mercy
- April 2018: AuthorTalk with H.K. Rhudd | The Month of June
- October 2017: AuthorTalk with Kate Roshon | Haven
- April 2017: AuthorTalk with Jamie Kleman | The Nevergreen Tree
- February 2013: Author Event with Daniel R. Biddle & Murray Dubin | Tasting Freedom
- Spring 2011: Outcasts United
- November 2009: Vietnam Mailbag
- June 2009: Author Event with Juan Diaz
- April 2009: Maya Angelou
- March 2009: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio
- February 2009: Nikki Giovanni...
Poet, Writer, Commentator, Activist & Educator
- October 2008: Persepolis
The Story of a Childhood
- July 2008: The Tour to End All Tours
- March 2008: The Monsters of Templeton
- January 2008: The Jersey Devil
- Fall 2007: Night
- Summer 2007: Finn
- April 2007: The Saint of Lost Things
- March 2007: Murder In Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van
Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance