WilmU Book Club
July 2020 | Grace Will Lead Us Home
Thursday, July 30, 2020
Online through Zoom
Please join the WilmU Book Club for an online discussion of Jennifer Berry Hawes' book, Grace Will Lead Us Home: The Charleston Church Massacre and the Hard, Inspiring Journey to Forgiveness. Facilitators for the discussion will be, Dr. Adrienne Bey and Dr. Terri Trent from the Center for Teaching Excellence.
Students, Faculty, Alumni and Staff are all welcome!
Register here to reserve your spot.
Use the Zoom link above to join the conversation online.
Borrow the ebook or audiobook on Overdrive through your local library! More details here.
'Emanuel' Documentary Watch Party
Wednesday, August 5, 2020
Join the WilmU Book Club for a screening of the documentary, Emanuel, based on the events described and analyzed by Hawes in her book. Reserve your spot here!
ABOUT THE BOOK
A deeply moving work of narrative nonfiction on the tragic shootings at the Mother Emanuel AME church in Charleston, South Carolina from Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jennifer Berry Hawes.
On June 17, 2015, twelve members of the historically black Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, South Carolina welcomed a young white man to their evening Bible study. He arrived with a pistol, 88 bullets, and hopes of starting a race war. Dylann Roof’s massacre of nine innocents during their closing prayer horrified the nation. Two days later, some relatives of the dead stood at Roof’s hearing and said, “I forgive you.” That grace offered the country a hopeful ending to an awful story. But for the survivors and victims’ families, the journey had just begun.
A NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK OF 2019
BARNES & NOBLE DISCOVER GREAT NEW WRITERS PICK
OPRAH MAGAZINE SUMMER 2019 READING LIST SELECTION
NEW YORK TIMES EDITOR’S CHOICE
- June 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Turn of the Key
- May 2020: WilmU Book Club | Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
- April 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Library Book
- November 2020: WilmU Book Club | Dopesick
- October 2019: WilmU Book Club | Our Towns
- September 2019: WilmU Book Club | Lit Up
- July 2019: WilmU Book Club | Full Body Burden
- May 2019: WilmU Book Club | Heartland
- April 2019: WilmU Book Club | Mudbound
- March 2019: WilmU Book Club | No Apparent Distress
- February 2019: WilmU Book Club Author Event | Beyond Every Wall
- January 2019: WilmU Book Club | Just Mercy
- April 2018: AuthorTalk with H.K. Rhudd | The Month of June
- October 2017: AuthorTalk with Kate Roshon | Haven
- April 2017: AuthorTalk with Jamie Kleman | The Nevergreen Tree
- February 2013: Author Event with Daniel R. Biddle & Murray Dubin | Tasting Freedom
- Spring 2011: Outcasts United
- November 2009: Vietnam Mailbag
- June 2009: Author Event with Juan Diaz
- April 2009: Maya Angelou
- March 2009: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio
- February 2009: Nikki Giovanni...
Poet, Writer, Commentator, Activist & Educator
- October 2008: Persepolis
The Story of a Childhood
- July 2008: The Tour to End All Tours
- March 2008: The Monsters of Templeton
- January 2008: The Jersey Devil
- Fall 2007: Night
- Summer 2007: Finn
- April 2007: The Saint of Lost Things
- March 2007: Murder In Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van
Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance