WilmU Book Club
September 2020 | Educated: A Memoir
Wednesday, September 23, 2020
Online through Zoom
Please join the WilmU Book Club for an online discussion of Tara Westover's book, Educated: A Memoir. Westover recounts overcoming her survivalist Mormon family in order to go to college and emphasizes the importance of education to enlarging her world.
Register here to reserve your spot. Registration not required to attend.
Use the Zoom link above to join the conversation online.
Borrow the ebook or audiobook on Overdrive through your local library! More details here.
ABOUT THE BOOK
An unforgettable memoir about a young girl who, kept out of school, leaves her survivalist family and goes on to earn a PhD from Cambridge University. Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, Tara Westover was seventeen the first time she set foot in a classroom. Her family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education, and no one to intervene when one of Tara's older brothers became violent. When another brother got himself into college, Tara decided to try a new kind of life. Her quest for knowledge transformed her, taking her over oceans and across continents, to Harvard and to Cambridge University. Only then would she wonder if she'd traveled too far, if there was still a way home.
- August 2020: WilmU Book Club | A Woman Is No Man
- July 2020: WilmU Book Club | Grace Will Lead Us Home
- June 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Turn of the Key
- May 2020: WilmU Book Club | Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
- April 2020: WilmU Book Club | The Library Book
- November 2020: WilmU Book Club | Dopesick
- October 2019: WilmU Book Club | Our Towns
- September 2019: WilmU Book Club | Lit Up
- July 2019: WilmU Book Club | Full Body Burden
- May 2019: WilmU Book Club | Heartland
- April 2019: WilmU Book Club | Mudbound
- March 2019: WilmU Book Club | No Apparent Distress
- February 2019: WilmU Book Club Author Event | Beyond Every Wall
- January 2019: WilmU Book Club | Just Mercy
- April 2018: AuthorTalk with H.K. Rhudd | The Month of June
- October 2017: AuthorTalk with Kate Roshon | Haven
- April 2017: AuthorTalk with Jamie Kleman | The Nevergreen Tree
- February 2013: Author Event with Daniel R. Biddle & Murray Dubin | Tasting Freedom
- Spring 2011: Outcasts United
- November 2009: Vietnam Mailbag
- June 2009: Author Event with Juan Diaz
- April 2009: Maya Angelou
- March 2009: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio
- February 2009: Nikki Giovanni...
Poet, Writer, Commentator, Activist & Educator
- October 2008: Persepolis
The Story of a Childhood
- July 2008: The Tour to End All Tours
- March 2008: The Monsters of Templeton
- January 2008: The Jersey Devil
- Fall 2007: Night
- Summer 2007: Finn
- April 2007: The Saint of Lost Things
- March 2007: Murder In Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van
Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance