WilmU Book Club
Monday, January 28, 2019 | 12:30 PM
Pratt Student Center, New Castle Campus
Please join us in the Pratt Student Center for a discussion of Bryan Stevenson’s book, Just Mercy.
Special Guest: Dr. Raymond Carr, Director of the Wilmington University Criminal Justice Institute.
RSVP to reserve your spot today!
SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE!
About the Book
Bryan Stevenson was a young lawyer when he founded the Equal Justice Initiative, a legal practice dedicated to defending those most desperate and in need: the poor, the wrongly condemned, and women and children trapped in the farthest reaches of our criminal justice system. One of his first cases was that of Walter McMillian, a young man who was sentenced to die for a notorious murder he insisted he didn’t commit. The case drew Bryan into a tangle of conspiracy, political machination, and legal brinksmanship—and transformed his understanding of mercy and justice forever.
Just Mercy is at once an unforgettable account of an idealistic, gifted young lawyer’s coming of age, a moving window into the lives of those he has defended, and an inspiring argument for compassion in the pursuit of true justice.
- October 2017: AuthorTalk with Kate Roshon
- April 2017: AuthorTalk with Jamie Kleman
- February 2013: Tasting Freedom
- Spring 2011: Outcasts United
- November 2009: Vietnam Mailbag
- June 2009: Juan Diaz
- April 2009: Maya Angelou
- March 2009: ESPN's Sal Paolantonio
- February 2009: Nikki Giovanni...
Poet, Writer, Commentator, Activist & Educator
- October 2008: Persepolis
The Story of a Childhood
- July 2008: The Tour to End All Tours
- March 2008: The Monsters of Templeton
- January 2008: The Jersey Devil
- Fall 2007: Night
- Summer 2007: Finn
- April 2007: The Saint of Lost Things
- March 2007: Murder In Amsterdam: The Death of Theo Van
Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance