State Authorization

What is State Authorization?

A college or university must obtain state authorization so that it can provide online courses and/or programs to the residents of the state. The criteria for state authorization varies with each state as do the privileges granted within each state.

NC-SARA Approved Institution logo

Wilmington University has been approved by Delaware to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.

States not within the agreement have provided permission for Wilmington University to operate at a distance in their state.

Please contact NC-SARA to inquire about the current status of your state.

Complaint Procedures

To comply with United States Department of Education regulations, please view the Distance Education Complaint Process for issues that cannot be resolved by Wilmington University.

State Licensure/Certification

Some academic programs lead to occupations that require licensure or certification by state. This varies by state, requiring separate approval with the appropriate state licensing and certification entities. For academic programs where this applies, more specific information is provided about licensure/certification on the individual program’s webpage. If you have additional questions, you may also e-mail