Distance Education Complaint Process

Process for Filing a Concern or Complaint

An online student who seeks to appeal a problem in a course or a final grade should first follow the process listed on the Academic Complaint or Appeal of a Final Course Grade procedures web page. An online student with a concern or complaint of any other nature should speak with someone in the Office of Student Concerns.

The information below is available for issues that cannot be resolved by Wilmington University. Online students are encouraged to exhaust all possible internal avenues for resolution before filing complaints with external agencies.

Complaint Resolution

If an issue cannot be resolved by Wilmington University, online students may file a complaint with the Delaware Higher Education Office.
Procedures for Filing a Complaint

Contact Information for Wilmington University’s Accreditation Agency

Unresolved complaints may also be filed with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the University’s regional accrediting agency. The Commission investigates complaints only when the complainant has exhausted all of the institution's appeal procedures. For more information, see the document, How to File a Complaint with the Commission.