TurnItIn Plagiarism Detection Service
Video Tutorials for Students
- Submitting a Turnitin Assignment
- Checking a Turnitin Assignment and Checking for Grammar. Check out the Interpreting the Similarity Report for guidance.
TurnItIn can only be used if your instructor has enabled it:
With the transition to Canvas, students will be able to use TurnItIn as the plagiarism checking tool.
Students should contact their instructor directly to request that they set up a TurnItIn draft assignment in their course to submit and view a similarity report for a draft of a writing assignment.
Tutorials for Instructors
Please note that faculty candidates will not have this tool available until they get their full WilmU login credentials.
What is the TurnItIn Plagiarism detection tool?
- TurnItIn is a plagiarism detection tool that instructors may use on writing assignments in Canvas.
- In order to determine how original a student paper may be, TurnItIn checks papers and its sources against a database of source material.
- This academic integrity tool helps prevent plagiarism by detecting unoriginal content. When an essay is uploaded to TurnItIn, an origniality report will be generated that automatically identifies and highlights phrases of text that are not properly cited.
- It is important for students to understand academic integrity and properly cite quotes and ideas from other authors. In addition to acting as a plagiarism deterrent, TurnItIn also has features designed to aid in educating students about plagiarism and the importance of proper attribution of any borrowed content. Additional information about cheating and test tampering may be found in the Wilmington University Code of Conduct.
How does it work?
TurnItIn serves two primary functions:
- Identify unoriginal content by detecting potential plagiarism issues.
- Manage potential academic misconduct by highlighting similarities to a repository of internet, academic, and student paper content.
What is a similarity report?
TurnItIn uses certain colors to represent similarity percentages on a similarity report. The color of the report icon indicates the similarity score of the paper, based on the amount of matching or similar text that was uncovered. The percentage range is 0% to 100%. The possible similarity ranges are:
- Blue: No matching text
- Green: One word to 24% matching text
- Yellow: 25-49% matching text
- Orange: 50-74% matching text
- Red: 75-100% matching text
View this webpage to learn how to access a Similarity Report.
Turnitin will not accept the following to generate Similarity Reports:
Password protected files
Microsoft® Works (.wps) files
Microsoft Word 2007 macros-enabled .docm files
OpenOffice Text (.odt) files created and downloaded from Google Docs online
Document (.doc) files created using OpenOffice, as they are not 100% Microsoft Word equivalent
Spreadsheets created outside of Microsoft Excel (i.e. .ods)
Text with visual effects
- Learn more about accepted file types and sizes