Groupwork in Canvas
What are groups in Canvas?
Groups are a small version of a course and used as a collaborative tool where students can work together on group projects and assignments. Groups typically consist of three or four students.
How to initiate virtual group work?
If your teacher has set up groups in your Canvas course, follow these steps:
- Click the "People" link on the course menu to view the other students in your group
- Click the "Groups" tab
- Click the "Visit" link to access your group. Learn more about how to interact with your Canvas Group.
Tips to Initiate Virtual Group Work
- Contact your group as soon as possible to schedule a time to meet together.
- Unless your teacher specifies, it’s up to your team to choose how you collaborate.
- Zoom is recommend since all students automatically have an account.
- Use your Zoom account to set up a meeting. It can be recorded in case one of your group members cannot attend.
- Divide and conquer – each member should take a small part of the project. You can contact you instructor with questions or concerns.
How to use Collaborations in Canvas
Students can use Microsoft Office 365 to create a collaboration with a Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file. They can select individual users, groups, or both as part of a collaboration. View these webpages to learn how to use these tools:
- How do I view Collaborations as a student?
- How do I create a Microsoft Office 365 collaboration as a student?