Completing a Certificate
Students obtain a certificate by completing a concentration of college-level courses in a specialized subject area (the number of courses and credits varies by program).
Students already enrolled in a degree program: consult your Academic Advisor if you’re considering adding a certificate to your degree program. You must officially add a certificate to your program to be awarded a certificate.
New students who wish to only complete a certificate must apply and be accepted for admission to the certificate program before enrolling. Certificate-only students may choose to apply their credits toward a degree program in the same or related field of study through our Dual-Credit Advantage.
Certificate Completion Requirements
- Successful completion all courses required for the certificate.
- A minimum GPA of:
- 2.0 GPA for all undergraduate certificate courses
- 3.0 GPA for all graduate certificate courses
Students do not need to follow a specific procedure, and there is no additional fee, to be awarded a certificate after completing all certificate requirements.
The Office of the Registrar will:
- Identify all students who are either:
- enrolled in a certificate program, or
- enrolled in a degree program and have officially added a certificate to their program through their advisor.
Audit those students to verify all certificate requirements are met.
For students who are verified to meet all certificate requirements, the Registrar will:
- Enter a certificate award date on the student’s transcript;
- Mail the certificate to student’s home address. Please verify your home address is correct in myWilmU Self Service (Personal Information).
Certificate mailing schedule For certificates completed by the end of: Certificates will be mailed the following: Fall (end December) March Spring (end of April) August Summer (end of August) October
PLEASE NOTE: Certificate candidates are not eligible to participate in a graduation ceremony.