Kaltura is the video creation and management platform Wilmington University uses and supports. Videos are crucial to comprehension and engagement in online courses, but can be equally valuable when used in face-to-face courses. Instructors can share lessons across various courses, and learners are able to re-watch content-pertinent videos as many times as they need.
Keep in mind that Kaltura should be used for your original video content created for use inside a course. That original content could be videos recorded on your smartphone, webcam, or
Tips for Students
Learn how to download, install, and use the Kaltura Capture Recorder by watching this video. It can be installed on the following operating systems:
- Windows: 10, 8.1, 8, 7 (32 or 64 bit)
- Mac: OS X 10.8 or higher
You can use a video anywhere you can place text inside of Canvas by navigating to the Mashups button in the text toolbar and selecting Kaltura Media from the dropdown.
You can also upload videos on the go using your smartphone camera or another mobile device.
If your laptop does not have a built-in microphone and webcam, you may have to buy external hardware. If you are a local student, you may use one of our campus Multimedia Studios to record media.
Tips for Faculty
- Experiment! You won't break anything by playing with the tools - webcam recording, screen recording, and uploading local content. Try it out!
- Create! Try creating instructional content for your courses. You can make webcam recordings for announcements and discussion boards, you can create quick screencasts to illustrate a point or help explain course materials.
- Share! If you've created something that could work for other courses, visit the My Media module and contribute your video to the Faculty Video Repository so other instructors can find it!
- Use accurate titles, descriptions, and tags - this helps you find your own media and will help other instructors find your shared videos in the Faculty Repository.
- All content you create will always be in your My Media module and available to you in any course - you don't need to add to the Faculty Repository unless you want to share with other instructors.
- If you're not using content anymore (or you were just testing/experimenting) delete it from your My Media module as long as it's not also shared with the Faculty Repository.
- Students can use these tools as well - they have access to everything except the faculty repository; students can submit video presentations, screencasts, video discussion boards, graded media assignments, and more.
- Students can use the Mashup tool to add media content to any content area where the textbox WYSIWYG toolbar is available, or they can create content from their My Media module.
- Check out the video tutorials below for an in-depth look at the many features of Kaltura Media tools in Blackboard and these guides:
Still have questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.